This is a hardware compatibility list for portable computers. We want to keep it as accurate as possible, but please, do not entirely rely on this list when buying a portable computer. Don't forget to add how you got OSx86 running on your portable x86 computer, and to use proper English. Please see the discussion page for proper instructions on how to input your system specs. Also, please contribute to the HCL 10.6.8 page, which should list a more granular view of compatibility. If your computer isn't listed, you should try it if you have a SSE2 or higher processor. Use vanilla kernel if it is supported.
- ONLY add hardware that you have TESTED. Don't add hardware just because you think it might work.
- Please add hardware into tables.
- This is for 10.6.8 builds only.
Please list your computers in alphabetical order by manufacturer (Asus, Acer, Dell, HP, etc)
For how to edit the Wiki, please see this thread. Thank you!
Install method: Retail OS X 10.6.3 with iBoot as Boot CD. Updated to 10.6.7 by combo update then 10.6.8 by delta update. Installed on MBR-partitioned disk with already existing Windows 7 on first partition. Customization during installation: Sata AHCI or IDE didn't effected to anything. After installation: Ethernet (Broadcom BCM5787) and Wireless (Atheros AR5007EG) didn't worked. After Installing combo update 10.6.7, install Multibeast with EasyBeast, System Utilities, AppleHDA Rollback, IOUSBFamily Rollback, VoodooPS2 Controller, and VoodooPS2 Trackpad selected. Before update to 10.6.8, backup AppleHDA.kext and IOUSBFamily.kext from /System/Library/Extension and get them back after updating.
- CPU (Intel Pentium Dual Core T2390 1.87 GHz): Detected as Core 2 Duo 1.87 GHz.
- Memory: 2 GB 667 Mhz DDR2.
- Keyboard/Touchpad: Worked if VoodooPS2 Controller selected while installing Multibeast.
- Mouse USB: Works out of the box.
- Ethernet (Broadcom BCM5787): Worked after use the right kext.
- Wireless (Atheros AR5007EG): Forget it.
- Video (Intel GMA X3100): Works out of the box. External display and Qe/Ci Enabled.
- Audio (Realtek ALC268): Internal/External Speaker and External Mic works except Internal Mic.
- Webcam (Acer CrystalEye Webcam): Detected but doesn't work.
- Optical Drive: Works out of the box. Read and write tested.
- Internal Bluetooth: Works out of the box.
- Card reader: Not tested.
- Battery: Appears after installed VoodooBattery.
- Sleep: doesn't work.
- Shutdown/Restart: Works fine after installed EvOreboot.
- Bootloader: Chameleon 2 RC5.
- Kext installed on /Extra/Extensions: EvOreboot, FakeSMC, LegacyAppleRTC, NullCPUPowerManagement.
- Kext pathed/installed on /System/Library/Extension: AppleHDA, IONetworkingFamily, IOUSBFamily, IOPCIFamily, VoodooBattery, VoodooPS2Controller.
Aspire 5315- 2153
install method: distro iATKOS S3 v2 (10.6.3) with combo update to 10.6.8. Installed on MBR-partitioned disk with already existing Vista partitions. Bios upgrade to 1.45, plus replaced Celeron M530 with T7500 C2D and 3GB ram. Replaced stock mini-pci-e net card with Atheros AR5BXB92 from e-bay ( works as apple airport) and added Iogear GBU 421 bluetooth. Customization during installation: Sata AHCI set in bios. Sound use only voodoo kext from options. Graphics enabled, added only Apple PS/2 drivers, not voodoo, otherwise keyboard and touchpad didn't work. Selected Intel graphics, USB and uuid fix. After 1st installation neither ethernet (bcm5007EG) nor wifiworked, so I installed AR5bxb92 wireless. Downloaded combo update 10.6.8 from Apple after successful install of 10.6.3. and upgraded without any problems.
- Keyboard/touchpad: worked if Apple PS/2 drivers selected in customization during install.
- Mouse USB: worked OOB.
- Ethernet: Built-in Ethernet: Broadcom NetLink Fast Ethernet 57XX series (not recognized).
- Video: Intel GMA965 works as X3100 (8086:2a02) all modes, QE enabled
- CDRW/DVD: reads and writes out of the box. DVD plays
- Audio: Intel 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller works out of the box with voodoo selected.
- Wireless: Replaced original wireless (Atheros AR5007EG) mini pci-e as not supported. AR5BXB92 works A,B,G,N..
- Shutdown/Reboot: works out of the box.
- Sleep does not work , but I did not load sleep kext due to kernel panic at >10.6.5
- Battery: not tested. Appears to work
- onboard modem ..not detected , not tested
- Card reader: no built in reader, external works, as well as all USB ports
- CPU: Intel T7500P 2.2ghz 800mhz bus
- Memory: 3 GB 800Mhz DDR2
- dual boot to vista problem free using chameleon rc4 install to OSX partition.
Install method: distro iATKOS S3 v2 (10.6.3) with combo update to 10.6.8. I installed it on MBR-partitioned disk with already existing partitions and operating systems. Customization during installation: I've added Apple PS/2 drivers, Network->Wireless->Broadcom drivers, Main hardware->Laptop hardware->Battery. After installation ethernet didn't worked. I've installed combo update 10.6.8 from Apple site. After that ethernet started working.
- Keyboard/touchpad: worked only if Apple PS/2 drivers selected in customization during install.
- Mouse USB: worked out of the box.
- Ethernet: Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5764M [14e4:1684]. Didn't work right after install. Worked after update to 10.6.8.
- Video: Intel GMA4500M [8086:2a43] worked in non-native resolution, I used deviato method () with modified Chameleon to set native resolution 1280x800. QE/CI doesn't work even after that.
- DVD: reads and writes out of the box.
- Audio: Intel 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller [8086:293e] works out of the box.
- Wireless: Broadcom BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY [14e4:4315] works if drivers selected in customization during install.
- Shutdown/Reboot: workes out of the box.
- Battery: indicator works.
- Card reader: not tested.
- CPU: Intel Celeron 900 2.20 GHz
- Memory: 1 GB 667Mhz DDR2
- Install Method : iATKOS S3 v2 (10.6.3) + 10.6.8 (Combo update)
- OsX Version : 10.6.7 - Kernel 10.6.0 (32Bits) - Chameleon RC4 Bootloader.
- CPU : Intel Core2Duo T7200 @ 2.06GHz - Dual Core Works with Voodoo TscSync.
- Graphic card : Nvidia GO 7900 GS - QE/CI work.
- DVD-RW : Works out of the box.
- LAN : Broadcom 440X 10/100 - Works out of the box with BMC440X kext.
- Firewire : RICOH compliant IEEE 1394 @ 400 MHz - Works out of the box.
- Keyboard/Trackpad (2 Finger Scrolling)/Multimedia front key : Works. 2 Finger for secondary click work with trackpad prefpane used in netbooks
- Sound : Sigmatel 9200 : Works.
- Wireless : Intel 3945 a/b/g - Doesn't work
- Bluetooth : Works out of the box.
- RICOH 3 in 1 Card Reader : Works.
- Power management : Works
- ShutDown/Reboot : Works.
- Kext/patch used : ChameleonV2RC4, 32BIT-BOOT, GraphicEnabler, Extra Directory, FakeSMC, Disabler, Evoreboot, VoodooHDA, VoodooPS2, VOODOO-PSTATE, VOODOO BATTERY, VOODOO SDHC, VOODOO TSCSYNC, NTFS-3G, BMC440X
For more information, see 
G560 i3 350M
- Install Method : iBoot or Empire-EFI + retail DVD OS X 10.6.3 + upgrade to 10.6.8 Combo + Chameleon Bootloader
- CPU: Core i3 350M (is recognized with 10.6.3) 2x2.26GHz
- SATA Hard Disk: (ICH Family) Yes Out of Box
- SATA DVD+/-RW: (ICH Family) Yes Out of Box
- Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 310M Yes (QE/QI not yet tested)
- Audio: Yes
- Wifi: Yes
- USB: USB 2.0 Yes Out of Box
- Bluetooth: Yes
- Ethernet: Realtek RTL8169E Yes with RealtekR1000.kext
- Trackpad: Synaptics Touchpad Yes (needs to be replaced by extra driver after the end of the installation process)
- Webcam: yes
- Sleep: No
- first booting method is: load 10.6.3 image from external medium (HD or USB-Stick min. 8 GB) with iBoot or Empire EFI and following parameters: -x -v busratio=17
- better use MBR if you want Windows installed parallel otherwise take GUID for a standalone Macintosh
- Linux-Partition is not recognized by Chameleon
- install Chameleon v. 2.0-RC5 afterwards but before replacement of the touchpad driver.
Installation instructions available in English and German: 
- Install Method : Rebel-EFI + retail DVD OS X 10.6.3 + upgrade to 10.6.8 Combo + Chameleon Bootloader
- CPU: Core 2 Duo ULV 2x1.3GHz
- SATA Hard Disk: (ICH Family) Yes Out of Box
- SATA DVD+/-RW: (ICH Family) Yes Out of Box
- Graphics: ATI Radeon Mobility HD 4330 VESA mode only, 1024x768
- Audio: Yes (VoodooHDA.kext)
- Wifi: No
- USB: USB 2.0 Yes Out of Box (1 of 3 ports non-functional)
- Bluetooth: Yes
- eSata: Not tested
- Ethernet: Yes (RealtekR1000.kext)
- Trackpad: Synaptics Touchpad Yes (Voodoo PS/2 Touchpad)
- Webcam: No
- Sleep: No
- Install bootup and first bootup require safe-mode (-x -f). This is due to the ATI driver not functioning (causing grey screens and graphics corruption). Afterwards this can be fixed by using VESA mode.
Thinkpad T510 (4313CTO)
- CPU: Intel Core i7-620M 2.66GHz, 4GB RAM
- Retail Snow Leopard DVD 10.6.3, updated to 10.6.8 with combo update
- Multibeast 3.1.1, EasyBeast installation using Chimera bootloader v1.4.1 r877
- Followed this guide http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evdxoJ5M6TY
Things that worked OOTB
- Graphics: nVidia NVS3100M worked OOTB, with full 1920x1080 resolution and in 32 bit colour.
- Built-in sound and internal mic worked OOTB.
- Webcam worked OOTB.
- Keyboard light (Fn+PgUp) worked OOTB.
- PCI ExpressCard slot works OOTB. It detects my TI chipset FireWire ExpressCard, which works fine.
- On-board Ricoh FireWire appears to work OOTB, but I haven't connected any devices to it to test it fully.
- SATA connections to the hard disk & DVD drive work OOTB.
- All USB2 ports, inc the USB function of the eSATA port, worked OOTB.
- Restarting the computer usually works fine, but occasionally a kernel panic occurs.
Things that worked with additional kexts
- Ethernet worked with IntelE1000e.kext
- Proper battery monitoring worked with VoodooBattery.kext
- Trackpad and keyboard work with Voodoo PS/2 Controller and Voodoo PS/2 Trackpad kexts. Trackpad works as a multitouch input device. IMPORTANT: Install these when running Multibeast for the first time, else you won't have a working keyboard or mouse after you reboot; I had to temporarily use a USB keyboard & mouse to sort this out.
Things that don't work
- UPEK fingerprint reader is supported, but when the software tries to read my fingerprints it hangs after the first swipe. http://www.upek.com/solutions/mac/default.asp
- Intel Centrino 6200 Wi-Fi didn't work (but I don't expect it to, there is no kext for it)
- The computer won't shut down properly. The OS shuts down, the screen is switched off, but the CPU fan still spins.
- Can't get the built-in Ricoh SDHC card reader to work. Tried VoodooSDHC without success.
- The computer doesn't enter sleep mode when I close the lid.
- The eSATA port doesn't seem to have been detected, but it does work as a USB port.
- Trackpoint doesn't work (the little red button in the middle of the keyboard, and the 3 mouse buttons between the keyboard and the trackpad)
- Intel SpeedStep
Model No. PSAE0C-AH708C
Distro: iAtkos S3 V2 - 10.6.3, Updating to 10.6.4, 10.6.5, 10.6.6, 10.6.7 and then to 10.6.8 works, Although See Warning Below!
IN CUSTOM INSTALL, MAKE SURE THE FOLLOWING IS CHECKED:
iAtkos S3 Main System
- Chameleon V2 RC4
- Leave as is (No Changes)
- SATA/IDE: INTEL SATA/IDE
- Sound: Voodoo HDA (See Issues below)
- PS/2: Voodoo PS/2
- CPU Power Manager: Voodoo P-State
- Laptop Hardware: Battery, Card Reader, TSC Sync
- VGA: INTEl, EFI String, GMA 950 27A1(32Bit), GMA 950 27AE(32Bit) (choose Both)
- Network: Wired= INTEL PRO V100
- System fan works sometimes, solution: just unplug Power adapter and plug it back in to make the fan work normally. Searching for a better solution...
- Loud Feedback coming from speakers, seems to be due to the Microphone Gain volume stuck at full. Install VoodooHDA 2.7.2 Package, goto SystemPrefs, open VoodooHDA icon, and lower the GAIN to 0. Run Kext utility. If problem persists, edit voodoohda.kext and change gain # to 0 and imix to about 80%. Run Kext Utility.
- Internal Wireless can work with only Unencrypted Networks. Linksys WUSB54G V4 is an external adapter and works.
- Webcam will fully work if you download CamTwist. FaceTime, Skype, MSN, iChat all work if you open them, and then open CamTwist. Google has lots of more info.
- Updating from 10.6.7 to 10.6.8 works successfully by downloading the combo update from the official website.
- Run "Repair Disk Permissions" each time you update.
- If keyboard & Track-pad stop working, just boot into safe-mode using -x and the reboot normally.
- If sound stops working, it's most probably because the update placed a new AppleHDA.kext in the (Extensions) Kexts folder. Just delete it, perform a Repair Disk Permissions and reboot.
WARNING: You must replace Apple80211Monitor.bundle with a previous version from 10.6.7. The file is located in System/Library/SystemConfiguration. If you do not replace this file, The system will run Slow and you will not have Network access!