This is a hardware compatibility list ONLY for OEM desktop computers. We want to keep it as accurate as possible, but please, do not entirely rely on this list when buying a desktop. Don't forget to add how you got OSx86 running on your x86 desktop computer, and to use proper English. Please see the discussion page for proper instructions on how to input your system specs. Also, please contribute to the HCL 10.8.1 page, which should list a more granular view of compatibility. If your computer isn't listed, you should try it if you have a SSE2 or higher processor. Use vanilla kernel if it is supported.
- ONLY add hardware that you have TESTED. Don't add hardware just because you think it might work.
- Please add hardware into tables.
- This is for 10.8.1 builds only.
Please list your computers in alphabetical order by manufacturer (Asus, Acer, Dell, HP, etc)
For how to edit the Wiki, please see this thread. Thank you!
Note: Please add whether your device supports QE, Quartz Extreme, graphics. Try playing a movie with Quicktime Player.
DELL Optiplex 960 DT
|| DELL Optiplex 960 DT
|| Intel® Q45 Express chipset w/ ICH10
- Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 2.99Ghz
- BIOS chip (NVRAM)-8Mb
- NIC - Intel® 82567, integrated network interface
- RAM: 2GB 800 Mhz DDR2
- VGA : Asus HD5450 Silent - 1Gb - works with QE/CI
- Also tested Integrated Intel® Q45 Graphics Controller - works, but without QE/CI
- Audio : Analog Devices ADI 1984A Integrated HD Audio works
- Network: Intel 82567 works with IntelE1000.kext
- Graphic: Radeon HD 5450 works with QE/CI - 1920x1080x32
- Monitor : iiyama B2475HDS DVI Cable
- Hard Disk : SSD 128Gb Crucial M4 for OS and a HDD 250Gb SATA for applications and data.
- DVD : DVD +/- RW TSSTCorp not connected at SATA (SATA used for SSD disk)
- USB work
- eSata: not tested
- SATA - set AHCI/Raid in BIOS (Dell BIOS A01)
- RAID Support - NOT USED
- Install 10.8.1 Final DMG image on a USB 8Gb Pen + Chameleon 2.1-SVN-r2030.pkg + only 2 kexts : fakesmc.kext ver. 4.2, NullCPUPowerManagement.kext ver. 1.0.0d2, using  and Essential - 03.08.12 zip file for starting kext and tools.
- Boot USB Pen and then create a GUID partition HFS+ journaled , then install as usual, then install Chameleon-r2030 and copy 5 kexts (from 1 to 5 Used Kexts) to HardDisk in S/L/E directory and patch/modify another 3 (from 6 to 8 Used Kexts); before reboot must repair permissions.
- Bootloader - Chameleon 2.1-SVN-r2030
- Used Kexts :
- VoodooHDA.kext, for audio
- VoodooMonitor.kext, for audio
- IntelE1000.kext, for network
- AppleRTC.kext, (from 10.8.1 install) - patched using a perl script line, see  , needed to avoid Bios Reset
- ATI5000Controller.kext, (from 10.8.1 install) - modified Info.plist text file to have QE/CI)
- AMDRadeonAccelerator.kext, (from 10.8.1 install) - modified Info.plist text file to have QE/CI)
- Video - To have full QE/CI used Asus HD5450 (Radeon code name Cedar), must modify info.plist in the ATI5000Controller.kext extension - added a key (Dev_ID,Ven_Id), reported by "System Info" application, see  and modified AMDRadeonAccelerator.kext  - Edit string IOPCIMatch in Info.plist file - changed key 0x68f91002 (Dev_ID;Ven_Id) in Cedar name section : my key was 0x68f91002, Dev Id:68f9 and Ven Id:1002
- Created with Chameleon Wizard tool in /Extra directory the file org.chameleon.Boot.plist with the parameters: Graphics Mode=1920x1080x32 , GraphicsEnabler=No and Timeout=5
- Ethernet - used IntelE1000.kext
- Sleep & Wakeup : works, but not good, sometime freeze and wakeup login works pushing <power button>
- no other Kext used, no DSDT file
- Every time you changed files in the kernel extensions directory (S/L/E -> /System/Library/Extentions) you must repair permissions, it may be used the kext utility tool.
- OS X 10.8.1 start in 64 bit
|| 32/64bit working with patches
|Dell Vostro 230 (Stock Hardware)
||Nvidia GeForce 310 512MB
- Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 @ 2.66 GHz
- RAM: 2GB 1333 Mhz DDR3
- VGA : Nvidia GeForce 310 512MB
- Audio : Voodoo HDA 2.7.3
- Network: Broadcom 57788 (Used BCM5722D.kext)
- Graphic: Working with QE/CI
- Hard Disk : SATA 320GB
- DVD : Stock Optical Drive
- USB: Works
Create USB installer from 10.8 stock installer. (Search Google how to build bootable installer from any Mac)
Prepare an USB thumb drive with at least 1Gb(FAT32) capacity to store some tools after success installed Mountain Lion 10.8
Things you need are:
- Kext Wizard
- Chameleon Wizard
- VoodooHDA 2.7.3 kext
- Patient and a cup of coffee
Once you prepared all the tools as listed above and now you're ready to roll it out. Please follow these step by step.
- On bios there is no SATA or ACHI setting, set it to Enhanced and other setting leave it default
- Boot your Mountain Lion USB installer
- Enter the following boot flags ---> -v PCIRootUID=0 npci=0x2000
- Once you're landing at setup screen, proceed to erase your hard drive to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) at Disk Ultility and start installation
- Installation takes 30 minutes to finish
- [10.8.1 Repeat Step] After system auto restart, boot again your Mountain Lion USB installer and press right key from your key (make sure your OS hard drive is selected)
- Enter following boot flags ---> -v PCIRootUID=0 npci=0x2000
- You should at welcome screen right now
- Fill up your information and get into desktop
- Run Kext Wizard
- Drag and drop BCM5722D.kext on Installation tab
- Drag and drop VoodooHDA.kext on Installation tab
- Click Install and enter your password
- After installed, go to Maintenance tab and select Rebuild Cache only continue with Execute
- Close/Quit/Exit Kext Wizard
- Run Chameleon Wizard (Go to System Preferences, open Security & Privacy setting select Anywhere)
- Create a smbios.plist (SMBios tab) by selecting MacPro 3,1 and save it at /Extra/
- Go to org.chameleon.Boot tab
- Check GUI, Time Out:,Legacy Logo, Use Kernel Cache, npci=0x2000, Ethernet Built In, Graphics Enabler (7 items! the rest leave it uncheck)
- Restart and leave it auto boot everything (Tested no kernel panic at all)
- Go to System Preferences, Sound and select Output to headphone or green line)
- Go to System Preferences, Network and you will see ethernet interface is appear
- Few more steps to go!
- iCloud, App Store, iMessage and Facetime tested working!
- Proceed to 10.8.1 by opening App Store and update it
- You should at kernel panic screen now!
- Don't worry, repeat from [10.8.1 Repeat Step] and you have working 10.8.1, Ethernet, Graphic and Sound!
I took 3 days to solved and tried all methods and with guide above, you can simply build it up just less than 2 hours.
Off all sleep feature because I tried to sleep the screen went black and power still running. It's not important bug to solve it ;)
- VoodooHDA 2.7.3