The 775Dual-VSTA is a low-priced motherboard made by ASRock. With PCIe and AGP as well as DDR and DDRII it is an ideal motherboard for upgrading to the 775 socket by Intel. While no speed demon, it is fully supported by OS X and is usually known to be stable. This board has been superseded by the 4CoreDual-VSTA.
|Memory||2 400mhz DDR slots, 2 667mhz DDRII slots|
|Graphics||PCIe (16x slot with 4x speed) and 8x AGP|
|Northbridge||PT 880 Pro/Ultra|
|Network||VIA PHY VT6103 10/100 Ethernet LAN|
|Audio||Realtek ALC888 HD 7.1|
|USB||4 2.0 ports, two headers|
|Features||Hyper-Threading Technology, Untied Overclocking Technology, EM64T CPU|
Known to be fully compatible with JaS 10.4.6 - Kalyway 10.5.2
 10.5.2 thestevo 775Dual-VSTA v4.5
theStevo has released a PPF patch for Kalyway 10.5.2 to fully support the chipsets in this motherboard. More information about this patch can be found here. . This patch can be downloaded from here., the individual files (ALCinject.kext, AppleHDA.kext, AppleVIAATA.kext, ViaRhine.kext) can be downloaded from here.
 10.5.1 thestevo 775Dual-VSTA v4.0
 10.4.9 thestevo 775Dual-VSTA v2.1
thestevo has released a PPF to patch Uphuck's v1.3 to fully support the chipsets in this motherboard. More information about this patch can be found here.
 JaS 10.4.8 Installer Patch
Marco's 775Dual-VSTA installer patches the installation DVD to be able to recognize SATA discs and install all needed kexts for this motherboard.
Requirements: Jas 10.4.8 AMD Intel SSE2 SSE3 installation DVD (With or without PPF)
1. Download ZIP file (9.5 MB) 2. Mount installation DVD image with the TERMINAL command:
hdiutil attach (drag your ISO image here) -readwrite
3. Open your ISO image on Desktop and replace files as below:
- Extensions.Mkext in System/Library
- Osinstall.mpkg in System/Installation/Packages
- 10.4.8.ASRock.775DualVsta.support.pkg in System/Installation/Packages
4. Open Disk Utility and burn your ISO image on desktop
10.4.8.ASROCK775DualVsta.support.pkg (Located in Support For Common Hardware) must be selected during install or your system will not boot
Note: The changes outlined here as well as the_defiant's disk utility PPF have been packaged together by thestevo in a PPF. Currently this patch is in reseed at the little green monster. ONLY for use with a PPF1 JaS Intel AMD SSE2 SSE3 Disc.
 Individual Fixes
Credit: Pinxue.net for instructions and driver.
- Download driver
mv ViaRhine.kext /System/Library/Extensions sudo chmod -R 755 ViaRhine.kext sudo chown -R root:wheel ViaRhine.kext cd /System/Library sudo diskutil repairpermissions / sudo rm -rf Extensions.mkext Extensions.kextcache
This method will enable all audio functions. (With the possible exception of S/PDIF out on the HDMI header.)
Credit: Skippyretard & Taruga
Sound is working either with ALCinject.kext and AppleAzaliaAudio.kext (no mic, line-in, 2 speakers) or with ALCinject.kext and AppleHDA.kext (mic, line-in, 7.1 sound).
Run the ALC888Audio installer found here. Use a customized installation with the 6 port option without the digital output.
This will enable two channels, to enable the rest:
- Open Audio MIDI Setup found in the /Applications/Utilities/ folder
- On the menu bar select "Audio>Open Aggregate Device Editor"
- Click on the "+" square and it will add a new aggregate device
- Now select "Use" next to each output you want to add(usually the first 3) and click "done"
- Change Default Output to the "Aggregate Device"
- Now select "Aggregate Device" in the Properties For: box and click on "Configure Speakers"
- Click "Multichannel" and select "5.1 Surround"
- When your done configuring your speakers the way you want them, make sure you click "Apply" before "Done"
You should now have 5.1 surround sound working (for DVD playback). Upmixing the front channels to the other speakers (rear, center, bass), like it is possible with CMSS in Microsoft Windows, is not supported in Mac OS X. but you can try  or  (alternate link ). The solution with Soundflower works, but AU Lab has to run in background. .
Credit: m.muller et al
sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/AppleVIAATA.kext/Contents/Info.plist
<key>VIA SATA Controller</key> <dict> <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key> <string>com.apple.driver.AppleVIAATA</string> <key>Hardware Name</key> <string>8237 SATA</string> <key>IOClass</key> <string>AppleVIAATARoot</string> <key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key> <string>***</string>
and add 0x05911106 to the *** list. Or just remove all the list and leave 0x05911106 only - unless you have more than one SATA controller.
Then perform house cleaning:
sudo chmod -R 755 AppleVIAATA.kext (* note) sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleVIAATA.kext (* note) sudo diskutil repairpermissions / (* note) cd /System/Library sudo rm -rf Extensions.mkext Extensions.kextcache . .
(* note): these commands are useless, the sudo nano ... does not change access rights or owner, that's used when you replace files only. You can just jump to the cd /System/Library line or use sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.* instead of the last 2 lines. That's used to force OS X to recreate its extension cache so it finds new or changed extensions also. . . . . . . .
 Known Issues
No fix available:
- reboot restores network
- booting with cpus=1 fixes the problem, but you have only one cpu core
- try another network interface adapter (RTL8139 shows same problems)
The 10.4.8 private seed will not recognize an ATA hard drive during boot of the installation DVD. Gives "waiting for root device" error. Use public seed to correct this.
CPU extensions must be disabled in the BIOS before an OS X installation DVD will boot.
The clock may run fast on some systems after the installation from the 10.4.8 reseed. This can be corrected by changing the FSB value in kernel flags, but it is recommended to update the kernel. This will correct the clock issue and still maintain smooth audio and video output.
On some 10.4.8 Semthex installations the system will only boot one time without patching of the USB. Upon this first boot, the user will not have access to network resources or USB, therefore any patch solutions must be transfered to the system via another data media (such as CD-RW or Windows partition.) This patch is issued by Apple and can be found here. . . .
Has anybody got sound to work in 10.4.8?
- Yes, see Audio section above.
Has anybody got sound to work with the new kernel?
- Yes, working with Beta8. Please see Audio section above for instructions. --Thestevo 13:13, 7 December 2006 (CST)
Here it just boots for the very first time after install, then freezes at reboot and doesnt boot anymore, any solution?
- Yes, when it boots that very first time, install the latest Apple USB patch. You won't have any network or USB at that time, so most likely you will want to have that file burned to a disc. --Thestevo 17:50, 18 December 2006 (CST)
Has anybody got AGP and PCIe to work at the same time?
 External Links
PCIe vs. AGP Comparison . . . .
This page was last modified on 21 April 2009, at 20:16.
This page has been accessed 162,961 times.