Darwin on VMware
Installing Darwin inside of VMware the easy way
This manual describes the installation of Darwin
- from a Darwin 8.0.1 CD image
- using an virtual HD image
- in VMware 5.0
Please note: You need a CPU those supports SSE2 or SSE3 instructions, like an new Pentium 4 and an Athlon64 does, to install Darwin.
If you don't, it may not hang in the &amp;quot;The following devices are avalaible for installation&amp;quot; section?
Please also note: You need to create a virtual &amp;lt;u&amp;gt;IDE&amp;lt;/u&amp;gt; hard drive, Darwin may not not find an SCSI drive!
1. Start virtual machine inside of VMware
2. Press Esc or select CD
3. Let Darwin boot from CD image
4. Enter 1 to install it below first HD
5. Enter 2 to partition the HD manually
6. Enter y to initialize the partition table
7. Enter the following:
auto hfs (to automatically create partitions using the HFS+ filesystem) update (otherwise it won't boot after installation) write quit
8. Answer the questions below the screen as you would normally do (use HFS+ as filesystem)
9. Then it will say &amp;quot;error: nknown filesystem type:&amp;quot;
10. Just press enter to reboot
11. When it had booted again, enter 1 to choose first HD
12. Then press 3 to use the existing partitions
13. Continue the installation normally...
14. After the installation have finished, start the virtual machine again
15. Press F2 to set first boot device to HD out of BIOS
16. There you go...
When you get the messages &amp;quot;SAM Multimedia: READ or WRITE failed, ASC = 0x24, ASCQ = 0x00&amp;quot; then just hit enter to see the login prompt
Also darwin will normally boot into read-only mode. Before boot add the following command -s to boot into single user mode.