User:Outragedtony/OSx with Chameleon
How to install OSx86 with Chameleon 2
- general: rundown on installation methods, understanding basic funtions not step-by-step guide
- more in-depth ressources linked
- for reference: "old" methods
- list ready-to-go-distros
- modifications preloaded by bootloader - bootloader: chameleon
- advantage: "vanilla" os x install, can be easily updated - KISS, all patches etc in one place -» most up-to-date, feature-rich and actively developed solution
- based on EFI, bootloader "emulates" EFI - actual EFI setup not required with chameleon, can store files on osx or other partition
- real EFI partition managed by Chameleon: seperated from osx install, osx install can be wiped while keeping perosnal quirks in place - but: adds on complexity
- can also be done with chameleon files on osx partition (backing up chameleon files, reinstall, copy) . . . .
1. boot with chameleon 2. install from retail disc 3. install chameleon
Pretty straight-forward, pick your choice (MBR/GPT) and partition ahead... Create Chameleon Boot-Cd, boot OSx retail DVD, Rule of thumb:
In case you might want to add another OS later, read ahead about Multiboot to save you some trouble. Limitation based on partition scheme used.
GPT, MBR or Hybrid?
Limitations: 4 primary partitions,
Not an option for Multibooting with Windows 7 and Vista on BIOS-based Motherboards, e.g. systems without EFI-implementation (will not boot/install/work). XP has no support for GPT. Does not have the limitation on number of partitions like MBR
Modifications and further info
- usb media instead of retail dvd -
Can Chameleon chainload grub from logical partition? Chainload Windows on logical? Chameleon on native EFI-System?
7 / . . . . . . . .