User:Outragedtony/OSx with Chameleon
About this Guide
- general: rundown on installation options
- understanding basic functions not step-by-step guide
- more in-depth ressources linked
- other methods: patched kernels, ready-to-go distros
- modifications preloaded by bootloader - bootloader: chameleon
- advantage: "vanilla" os x install, can be easily updated - KISS, all patches etc in one place -» most up-to-date, feature-rich and actively developed solution
- based on EFI, bootloader "emulates" EFI - actual EFI setup not required with chameleon, can store files on osx or other partition
- real EFI partition managed by Chameleon: seperated from osx install, osx install can be wiped while keeping perosnal quirks in place - but: adds on complexity
- can also be done with chameleon files on osx partition (backing up chameleon files, reinstall, copy) . . . .
Will use Chameleon as Bootloader, both to get retail install DVD up and running and for normal boots from hd
1. boot with chameleon bootdisk 2. install from retail disc 3. install chameleon boot loader to hd
kext, kernel, etc
You will do this later while installing OSx, but this needs some serious thought
Pretty straight-forward, pick your choice (MBR/GPT) and partition ahead... Create Chameleon Boot-Cd, boot OSx retail DVD, Rule of thumb:
In case you might want to add another OS later, read ahead about Multiboot to save you some trouble. Limitation based on partition scheme used.
GPT, MBR or Hybrid?
Limitations: 4 primary partitions,
Not an option for Multibooting with Windows 7 and Vista on BIOS-based Motherboards, e.g. systems without EFI-implementation (will not boot/install/work). XP has no support for GPT. Does not have the limitation on number of partitions like MBR
Boot retail DVD
create bootdisk installation
Install Chameleon to HD
Modifications and further info
- usb media instead of retail dvd -
Can Chameleon chainload grub from logical partition? Chainload Windows on logical? Chameleon on native EFI-System?
7 / . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .